We’ve all seen ghosts, zombies and werewolves in horror movies, but for some of us the scariest sight is still that of a darting rat or cockroach when we turn on the kitchen light in the middle of the night. This fact isn’t lost on filmmakers who’ve cast a variety of creepy crawlies, including many types of common household pests, in their movies to make you jump out of your skin.
We’ve compiled a list of 10 pest movies (see what we did there?) that feature bugs or pests in one way or another, that will be sure to make you call a pest control service right after you watch them!
But before we begin, a special shout out to the movie that inspired this post: Parasite (2019)
Parasite (2019): The first international feature to win an Oscar in the Best Movie category, this South Korean movie follows a poor family’s scheming to build a better life for themselves. The link to pests? Well… “Parasite”
Now let’s get ready to be creeped out and grossed out!
1. Ghostbusters (1984): This movie has all three components of a great pest control movie:
1) A cool sounding name
2) Slime. Green. Lot’s of it.
3) Action figures
Who you gonna call?
2. Ants! (1977): What’s scarier than seeing a lot of ants crawling on your kitchen countertop? A huge army of poisonous ants attacking the guests at a hotel! Some of the scenes in this movie will surely send chills down your spine.
3. Ant-Man (2015): Who would have thought that one day a superhero blockbuster would be named after the tiniest pest? Even the smallest of creatures should never be underestimated!
4. Tremors (1990): One of the scariest movies from the 1990s, Tremors showcased large underground creatures that start attacking the residents of a small town. If you’re scared of common household pests, then this movie will surely make you jump out of your skin!
5. Jurassic Park (1993): Take one bug. Extract its blood. Now you got yourself an island full of killer dinosaurs. Add a couple of kids and that guy who played Newman in Seinfeld. Box office success guaranteed!
6. Kingdom of Spiders (1977): Brace yourself for man(and cow)-eating tarantulas! It’s an iconic sci-fi horror film from the 1970s that’s still popular not only because of its entertainment value but also because it’s one of William Shatner’s earliest movies.
7. Arachnophobia (1990): This movie will take your fear of spiders to a whole new level! Steven Spielberg was one of the executive producers of this immensely entertaining back comedy horror film.
8. Snakes on a Plane (2006): Yes – we remembered! Snakes on a plane. The best movie about reptiles on any form of public transportation to come out in 2006, and Samuel L. Jackson’s most memeable movie.
9. Men in Black (1997): Get ready for some pests that are literally from out of this world! And pest control experts who wear black suits and have the coolest gadgets to tackle them!
10: A Bug’s Life (1998) & Bee Movie (2007): Who says bugs always have to be the bad guys? Sometimes, they can also be heroes as you will see in these movies!
Did we miss anything? What other movies would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments below our Facebook post!