While some humidity is good, the trouble starts when your Dubai home is continuously exposed to high levels of it. The extra moisture in the air can damage furniture, appliances, and even the structure of your home. The home maintenance experts at ServiceMarket explain how humidity impacts your home and offer useful preventative tips.
1) Look out for mold
High level of moisture can cause mold to form on walls and other surfaces including flooring and carpet. Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in moist environments and spreads easily. It shows up as dark unappealing spots. If the problem is not addressed right away, mold can grow quickly, impact large areas of your house, and cause structural damage. It also causes health problems including allergies, infections, and skin irritation.
2) Paint and wallpaper peel off
Repeated exposure to moisture in high humidity areas can damage paint and wallpaper causing them to bubble or peel away from the surface. This means you might have to face expensive repairs such as repainting walls and replacing wallpaper.
3) Stored items get damaged
Whether it’s the winter clothes you stored away or food items in your pantry, all stored items can be impacted by high levels of moisture. Clothes can get a musty smell. Dry foods go stale faster and cans rust. Go through your pantry regularly to check for signs of damage caused by humidity.
4) Rust and decay
Excessive moisture trapped around the house can cause wood to decay and damage electronics. Water pipes and metal structures can also become rusty.
5) Pests love a humid home
A humid home can become a breeding ground for all sorts of pests such as dust mites and cockroaches. These insects thrive in warm moist conditions and cause multiple health problems including allergies. Fungi in the carpet can also cause health problems as well as an unpleasant odor. What’s more, carpets infested with mold are hard to clean.
Tips to control humidity:
- Running your air conditioning reduces the temperature and removes excess moisture. Make sure your unit is the right size for your home, and AC maintenance is up to speed. A regular AC service in Dubai will ensure that your home is effectively cooled and dehumidified.
- Ventilation and exhaust fans are useful especially to dry out high-impact areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.
- You can also use dehumidifiers based on the size of your home and needs.
- Avoid or cut back on activities that will add more heat and humidity such as long steamy showers or boiling water.
You can’t change the weather outside, but being aware of the problems humidity can cause and taking the necessary precautions can save you a lot of hassle and money. As a start, make sure your air conditioner is properly installed and in good condition. If your home has been damaged by humidity, then you can you can easily get it fixed by hiring a professional handyman in Dubai through ServiceMarket.