Do you have cockroaches in your house? Did you try all the sprays in the world, yet they still come back? Don’t worry, follow these 8 steps to get your house back from these uninvited guests. If you don’t have time to read this and just want it fixed, just click here and get multiple quotations within minutes from licensed pest control companies in the UAE.
1. Deep clean your house: Before any treatment can be done, you need to deep clean your home in order to eliminate any hiding places and food sources for the roaches. Cockroaches love damp, warm and dark places.
What you need to clean with: Use disinfectants like DettolTM or add Hydrogen Peroxide to water. Your main job is to disinfect everything.
What you need to clean first:
- All drains
- All sinks (including space underneath the sink)
- Your washing machine (including the space behind the washing machine)
- Your dishwasher (including the space behind the dishwasher)
- Your rubbish bins (including the space where you place your bin)
- Under all your furniture and cabinets
Where you can find a cleaner: If you do not want to conduct a deep clean yourself visit ServiceMarket to find a cleaning professional that suits you.
2. Fix any leakages: If you have leaking pipes or equipment, then you are providing the perfect moist environment to help the spread of cockroaches. Cockroaches can go months without water and food, but a moist and warm environment is important for their survival.
Where you can find a handyman: If you need help with leaking faucets or drainage issues you can go to ServiceMarket to find a handyman that is right for you.
3. Get rid of any cardboard boxes: Cardboard boxes provide a perfect comfortable and warm environment for cockroaches to lay eggs. If you have boxes in your home, then consider unpacking them, and getting rid of them quickly. If you need them, then wrap all your cardboard boxes in plastic wrap to suffocate and starve the roaches inside.
4. Don’t leave any food out: Don’t leave any food on your kitchen counters, and place everything in the fridge. Clean and disinfect your kitchen floors every evening before you go to bed to get rid of any crumbs on the floor. Remember, cockroaches can survive 3 months without food or water. You will need to upkeep the cleanliness for at least 4 months.
5. Spray your home with pesticides: You can buy sprays in the supermarket or you can get a professional pest control service. It’s important to spray the entire house, under all cracks and furniture. The spray is effective only on living cockroaches, however it does nothing to cockroach eggs. So, remember keep your house clean for at least four months. Place gel poison in all cupboards, corners and cracks for any survivors to ingest.
Where you can find a pest control provider: If you are having issues with roaches and need professional help, check out ServiceMarket to find the right pest control provider for you.
6. Place cockroach powder under every door and corner: The spray will kill all the roaches inside your house, however it does not protect roaches from outside to enter your premises. In order to keep roaches out permanently, place roach powder in a thick layer below your entrance door, balcony, windows if they open, and back door if you leave it open.
7. Keep your lights on: Cockroaches are nocturnal creatures, seeing a cockroach during day light may signal an infestation. In order to make their living conditions unbearable, leave the light on for three days. This will mess with their scavenger patterns and will drive them to insanity.
8. Keep your house cool: Cockroaches require warm, damp, and dark environment for them to survive and prosper. By keeping your lights on and turning your house into permanent winter, the roaches may leave your house.
Remember: Roaches can live up to three months without food or water. In order for your hard work to pay off you need to continuously keep your home clean, disinfect and place all food in the fridge. Good luck!
> Did you know that cockroaches can live without their heads for days?! For more scary cockroach facts, check out our article with 7 Fascinating Facts About Cockroaches.