If you want to keep your home in tip-top shape, you need to maintain it regularly. While this may seem overwhelming, when broken down into an easy checklist, it seems much more doable. By doing so you’ll have a better place to live, maintain your home’s value, and minimize the need for repairs and replacements in the future. Just follow this Dubai home maintenance checklist by ServiceMarket. Keep in mind that there are many maintenance companies in Dubai that can help you keep you home in good condition all year round. Of course, adjust this list according to your needs!
Monthly home maintenance tasks
- Test your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors by pressing the “test” button. If a loud alarm doesn’t come from it, the batteries must be replaced.
- Clean the garbage disposal. Citrus juice, orange or lemon peels paired with some ice can remove build up in the disposal.
Quarterly home maintenance tasks
- Replace detector batteries regardless of whether they’re working – if you haven’t done so in the past three months. The last thing you want is a loud wakeup call at 3AM because your batteries are low!
- If you have any unused rooms, run water and flush toilets to ensure they are working as they should. It’s often worth using some drain opener and limescale remover in these rooms.
- Clean your AC air filter so it works effectively and doesn’t circulate dust through your home. Rinse the filter, wash it with soap and a gentle brush, dry and replace.
Biannual home maintenance tasks
- Tidy up weeds and shrubs from around your home. Anything that’s growing in/on walls or within the cracks on your patio, walkways, or even on a balcony. Anything growing on your home can actually damage it over time.
- Drain and clean your water heater to ensure its longevity. A build-up of sediment can seriously impact its ability to work effectively, and may even shorten its lifespan.
Annual home maintenance tasks
- Vacuum the coils at the back of your refrigerator. By reducing the grime build up on the coils, you’ll increase the efficiency of the refrigerator and potentially reduce your electricity bill – a win-win!
- Check toilets and sinks for leaks. It’s also worth checking your water pressure, or having a handyman in Dubai do it for you.
- Check the fire extinguisher is working so you don’t find out it’s not working when you need it most.
- Inspect interior and exterior walls and repair as necessary. Touch up paint or do a new coat, if necessary.
- Clean the kitchen hood filter so it continues to collect grease. It’s tough to clean if you don’t keep on top of it, not to mention it may stop working, so be sure to do so!
- Have a garage? Declutter and clean it. Clean dust and stains, check if the door mechanisms look good, and get rid of old items you’ve not looked at in a year.
- Check the weather stripping around your doors and windows, and repair as necessary. This will stop cool air escaping through cracks in the weather stripping and stop dust getting in.
- Steam clean curtains and blinds.
- Got a basement? It’s time to clean and declutter. If you’ve not looked at an item in a year, it’s unlikely you’ll need it again!
- Book an AC maintenance service in Dubai. It’s recommended that AC units should be serviced quarterly to ensure maximum efficiency, and you don’t want it to break down in the heat of summer.
- Look everywhere for bugs. Thoroughly check the basement, around external doors, in the kitchen, and in the pantry, especially in the summer.
- Clean outdoor and indoor lighting fixtures.
- You should be doing this frequently, but if you haven’t yet, clean out the lint from your dryer vent!
- Inspect all flooring and repair, as necessary. Refinishing is often needed to fix a scratched hardwood floor, and will considerably improve the look of your home.
- Clean your shower heads to ensure proper pressure.
- Check all the locks on windows and doors, replacing as needed.
- Clean windows and sills, especially after a dust storm.
- Check gutters and drain for leaves, to prevent blockage.
- Clean and touch up doors and baseboards. Little touch ups like these can seriously improve the look of your home.
- Deep clean your home. Once a year, declutter your home and hire a deep cleaning service in Dubai to cover everything else.
- Inspect electrical outlets, and any “exposed” wires (not hidden). If you see anything that concerns you, call an electrician to look at it for you.
If you do all of this, your home will always be in the best condition possible. If you notice something that needs a closer inspection or repair, get in touch with maintenance companies in Dubai through ServiceMarket.