Ever wonder what are the most common household pests found in Sharjah? ServiceMarket has not only compiled a list of the top household pests but also consulted some pest control companies in Sharjah to provide you with solutions. Here’s everything you need to know about common infestations and pest control treatments in Sharjah.
Top household pests:
These creepy little critters love the warm Sharjah homes, where they have access to ideal breeding conditions and plenty of water. Cockroaches are able to live without food but not without water, so you will often find them in places that have easy access to water, such as under kitchen sinks and within the cavities of the walls in your kitchen (this is especially true in older homes). Cockroaches are most prevalent in homes where garbage is not regularly disposed of as they are attracted to the scraps of food in bins.
These household pests carry diseases and because of their mobility and ability to move in the unnoticed parts of your home, they are able to spread them quite easily. Food poisoning, dysentery and fungus are just some of the diseases that cockroaches can spread and these come from having contact with old and rotten food.
If you come across one cockroach, this generally means that there is a nest nearby. There are a number of things you can do to prevent them from getting too comfortable:
- Clear away food sources – get a garbage bin that has a seal proof lid and discard your garbage regularly. You should seal food containers tightly and pack up pet food at night so that cockroaches cannot use this as an easy food source.
- Declutter your home so that you can remove the places where they may live and breed. Cockroaches release a hormone in their droppings attracting others to this ‘safe’ space they have found, which is how nests can grow bigger and bigger.
- Seal all cavities as these may be entry points – these may be cracks in walls and cracks in cupboards, the skirtings on your walls and the spaces underneath your doors.
Of all the pests that you could get in your home, bed bugs are possibly the most nasty. These critters live in your furniture upholstery and linens, and are very hard to spot. Bed bugs enjoy warm, cozy spaces where they have easy access to human blood – which is their staple diet. They tend to spread very quickly. The best way to get rid of these is through a professional pest control company in Sharjah as home remedies are not really effective. The professionals have all the equipment and supplies necessary to clear them completely and it is likely that you will need to treat your home at least once a year to prevent a re-infestation.
The most common rodents found in Sharjah are mice and rats. These creatures can transmit a number of diseases if they have any direct contact with you or or your food, so control is extremely important.
These pests will often enter homes in search of food and water, but they can also cause a lot of damage. They have been known to chew through insulation, walls and even cause fires by chewing through electrical cables. You can identify them when you hear them running either within the walls or in your roof and by the droppings that they will leave about your home.
Fortunately, there are ways to prevent these pests from entering your home:
- Clear away clutter – this gives them fewer places to hide and build nests.
- Store food away properly to prevent them from being attracted to your home.
- Get rid of garbage correctly and regularly in sealed packets and directly into garbage chutes or bins.
- Seal cracks and openings to prevent them from entering your home – these creatures are very flexible and you will be surprised at how they can contort themselves to fit through the smallest gaps.
Luckily, in case your prevention tactics prove to be unsuccessful, ServiceMarket can help you find the best pest control companies in Sharjah, all of whom have been vetted and are highly experienced in dealing with all manner of pest infestations.