With Earth Day bringing to light the need to conserve the environment, you may be wondering if you’re doing enough. Even small steps and minor changes in your habits can lead to a much more eco-friendly home. ServiceMarket has put together this one-stop guide to help you conserve the environment and save thousands of dirhams on your bills.
Embrace efficient cooling methods:
- Using air conditioners efficiently can save you thousands: AC units in your home use a lot of energy and are responsible for a large portion of your electricity bills. You’d be surprised by how much you can save by following some simple tips. Set the thermostat on auto mode and at 24C or higher. Your cooling costs can go down by 9% with each additional degree! Keep your AC in a good condition and consider replacing the unit if it’s more than 10 years old. Worn down ACs are less efficient and consume more energy. You can easily book an AC maintenance service in Dubai on ServiceMarket.
- Ceiling fans use much less energy: Contrary to what most people think, ceiling fans use around the same amount of energy as a light bulb. To save energy, run your AC at a slightly higher temperature and complement it’s cooling with a ceiling fan. Fresh air is free, so be sure to open your windows and use it whenever weather permits.
- Don’t underestimate the power of insulation: Good insulation can help you maintain the temperature of your room for hours without using additional energy. Make sure that your walls, floor and ceiling have a layer of insulation. Cover up any gaps around your windows and doors, and consider installing double layer windows in your home if you do not have them. While choosing curtains in Dubai, go for heavy fabric drapes, shades or curtains with thermal lining. These types of curtain designs block light and heat. Click here to learn more about how you can save money on electric bills.
Conserve on lighting:
- Don’t forget to turn off the lights when you leave the room. Smart-home solutions can do this for your automatically. Invest in the more energy-efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) instead of incandescent or halogen bulbs. Another trick is to use natural sunlight whenever possible. Sheer curtains are ideal for allowing a comfortable amount of sunlight to enter your room.
Cut down unnecessary use of electrical appliances:
- Cooking: If possible, use your oven instead of your microwave and cook multiple dishes in one go. Minimize the amount of water you use for cooking and don’t use more heat than you need to.
- Refrigeration: Always make sure that the food you are putting into your fridge is cool enough. Wait for 30 minutes before putting freshly cooked or heated food into your fridge. You should set the temperature of your fridge and freezer at 38 and 10 degrees respectively. Be sure to defrost your freezer whenever the layer of ice grows thicker than a quarter of an inch.
Use water appliances smartly:
- Washing clothes and dishes by hand requires more water than washing machines and dishwashers, but wait until you have enough clothes and dishes to fill the appliances. Washing in multiple rounds wastes more water and energy. When you are buying home appliances, make sure to select the most energy efficient appliances in the market – it will save you money in the long-run.
- Remember to always turn off the tap when you are not using it. Did you know that you can save up to 8 gallons of water by turning off the tap when you brush your teeth in the morning and night? The same applies when you are washing the dishes – don’t leave the water running. Our lawns and gardens need very large quantities of water to stay green, but there are several ways to conserve water. Water your garden early in the morning or after sunset to avoid rapid evaporation. You can also conserve water by cleaning outdoor surfaces with a broom instead of washing them. If you have a swimming pool, cover it when it’s not in use to avoid evaporation.
Smart-home solutions rock:
- You should definitely consider investing in a smart-home solution. These systems are not only useful for conserving energy, but also make your life more comfortable. For example, they can automatically turn off lights when you leave the room and when there is enough natural light.
Whether you are looking for a handyman in Dubai to install energy-efficient lights or a gardening company to revamp your garden, ServiceMarket can help you book a wide variety of home services easily and quickly. Book a service now to celebrate Earth Hour in a more environmentally friendly home!