If you are planning to relocate soon, you might be wondering what are the different types of international moving services. Need help with understanding the difference between them and to decide the most suitable option? The experts at ServiceMarket have put together this guide to help you navigate the process like a pro.
Types of international moving services
There are three types of relocation service that you can choose from depending on your timeframe, budget, and exact requirements:
- Door-to-door – This is where the relocation service in Dubai will take care of absolutely everything. They will pack your belongings in Dubai, deliver them to your new home, and then unpack everything there, as well as dealing with all necessary paperwork for you. This is the most expensive service.
- Door-to-port – This is where the relocation service will pack your belongings and deliver them all the way to the port at your new destination. You will have to take care of customs at the international port and the paperwork that goes with it, and then transport your goods the rest of the way yourself or using a local company.
- Port-to-port – This is the cheapest option available to you, but it means the service provider will only be responsible for shipping your goods so it requires more from you. You have to take care of packing your items in Dubai, deal with customs, and find a way to get your belongings from the international port to your new home.
Types of shipment
Depending on how much cargo you are looking to ship, you can choose:
- Full Container Load (FCL) – This is when you have your own container that holds only your belongings. This is a fast and safe way to ship your goods but it is the most expensive type of shipment.
- Less than Container Load (LCL) – This is a good option if you want to ship a relatively small amount of stuff, for example, if you currently live in a studio apartment. Your belongings will go into a shared container with other goods going to the same destination.
- Groupage – This is another good option if you only want to ship a small number of belongings, and it is the cheapest option. However, the shipment will not go out until the service provider has filled up the container. This can take a few days or a full month, so you want to think carefully about your timeframes and how quickly you would like to move.
How to estimate the cost of shipping
The cost of shipping your goods from Dubai to another country depends on multiple factors. We’ve already compared the types of relocation services and shipments. Keep in mind that it also depends on the distance to your destination, the size/weight of your goods as well as whether you’re shipping by land, air, or sea. If you are shipping your goods by air, the cost is determined by how much your goods weigh, however, if you are shipping your goods by sea or land, the cost is determined by the volume of your goods in cubic meters. The more space they take up, the more your international move will cost. Shipping by air tends to be the most expensive method of transport. However, it is the fastest way to get your items where they need to be. On the other hand, although having your goods shipped by sea is a much cheaper option – it can take anytime between 8 and 10 weeks for your belongings to reach your new home. If you’re looking to move within the Gulf countries, your cheapest method of transport is land, particularly if you are relocating a relatively short distance away from Dubai.
Be sure to compare free quotes from multiple international movers and packers in Dubai through ServiceMarket, which only features vetted companies. You should also read customer reviews and check accreditations of international movers online to make an informed decision.