Are you planning to move to a new home in Dubai? Given the Covid-19 pandemic, you might be wondering if you can move homes safely and how much it will cost. The experts at ServiceMarket, the UAE’s leading online marketplace for moving services, have prepared this guide to help you navigate the process without any hassles.
Moving companies are still operating during the crisis
The moving industry is classified under logistics, ports, and shipping. Since it is considered one of the vital sectors by the Dubai government, it is exempt from any restrictions. Currently, the moving activity in Dubai is normal in terms of demand, and we can expect that the demand will continue to increase during the next couple of months as it’s usually the peak season for moving.
Moving companies are taking precautionary measures
To ensure your health and safety, movers and packers in Dubai are taking multiple steps before and during the process of packing, moving, and unpacking. Here are a few of the precautionary measures you can expect:
- Before the staff start working, health screenings are conducted.
- They are given hand sanitizers, gloves, and face masks. Keep in mind that gloves may be removed while packing as it can make the process difficult. However, before packing and when gloves are removed, the packers sanitize their hands. They also wash their hands before putting on new gloves.
- The movers and packers refrain from physical contact and maintain a safe distance.
- Moving companies also sanitize their vehicles.
- Customers may be asked to make sure that only one family member is in the house when the services are being carried out.
- A questionnaire may be sent to customers before work starts and can include questions related to experiencing flu-like symptoms, contact with overseas travelers, and history of international travel.
The cost of moving homes hasn’t changed
There hasn’t been an increase in the cost of moving due to the coronavirus pandemic. In fact, a lot of moving companies in Dubai have shown flexibility and are offering discounts to support their customers. Your moving cost will depend on multiple factors such as the amount and size of the furniture and other items you want to move, the distance to your new home, whether you’re moving to another Emirate or within Dubai, as well as and the service levels the movers and packers are offering. Typically, if you’re moving to another home within Dubai, you can expect to pay AED 800-1000 for a studio apartment, AED 1100 – 1500 for a 1-bedroom apartment, AED 1800 – 2,400 for a two-bedroom apartment, and around AED 4,000 – 5,000 for a 3-bedroom villa. In case your property manager needs a move-out or move-in permit, it should be readily available without any charge.
Some of the other expenses you can expect during the process
- To make sure you get your full deposit back from your landlord, it’s important to restore the house to its original condition. To do so, you may have to repair and repaint it. It will cost you around AED 750 – 850 to repaint a 1-bedroom apartment back to off-white or white.
- Keep in mind that to transfer your telecom connections and utilities to your new home, you will have to pay some administrative fees. With just one simple online application and a fee of AED 120 you can transfer your DEWA connection to another home. If you want to transfer your telecom connection, then you can do so with a small fee of AED 100.
While moving to a new home, you may need the following services:
- Move-out painting services: As mentioned earlier, you may need painting services to restore your old home to its original condition.
- Move-in cleaning and sanitization: There’s a high demand for this new service right now due to the coronavirus pandemic. It’s recommended that you should book a professional cleaning and sanitization service for your new home to make sure it’s not only spick and span, but also clear of viruses and germs. It goes without saying that a licensed cleaning and disinfection company should conduct this service. It costs as little as AED 299 for a studio apartment.
- Move-in pest control: A lot of tenants who are moving to a villa need a move-in pest control service before they do so. Preventative pest control treatments help you remove common pests like cockroaches and ants from your villa. It will cost you as little as AED 299 for a 2-bedroom apartment.
- Move-in handyman services: You may need a professional handyman to help with tasks like installing shelves, changing light bulbs, mounting TV, as well as hanging curtains and frames. Move-in handyman services cost AED 150 per hour.
Be sure to get free quotes from multiple movers and packers in Dubai through ServiceMarket, which only features vetted moving companies. You can also read reviews, compare ratings, and check accreditations online. Comparison shopping can help you save a lot of money and make an informed decision.