Most working parents in Dubai have to rely on the help of nannies and babysitters to care for their children while they are away from home. But with multiple child care services available in the city, such as nannies regulated by Tadbeer centers, live-out babysitters, registered nurses, and daycare centers, it can be a bit challenging to find the most suitable option. The experts at ServiceMarket, the UAE’s leading marketplace for home services, have put together this guide to help you navigate the process of selecting the right child care service for your kids.
Hiring nannies through Tadbeer centers
Dubai residents now have the option to hire both live-in and live-out nannies through Tadbeer centers, which have been set up to provide regulated and high-quality domestic workers in the UAE. Besides making the process hassle-free, Tadbeer centers have also make it more affordable to hire domestic workers. Tadbeer centers provide the following services for domestic workers and the households employing them:
- Facilitating interviews between domestic workers and employers
- Helping with issuing visas and Emirates IDs
- Providing medical examinations
- Facilitating employers in getting health insurance for domestic workers
- Training them to make sure they have the required skill set
- Holding orientation session for them to learn about traditions of the UAE
- Domestic workers and employers can contact Tadbeer centers in case they have any issues or questions
- Transporting them from the airport to the homes of their employers
You can opt for one of the following packages when hiring a nanny through Tadbeer:
- Temporary placement leading to sponsorship: After a nanny has spent 6 months with a family or business, she can be hired permanently by paying a transfer fee, which would be in addition to the monthly salary.
- Under Tadbeer sponsorship: It’s similar to the first package, but nannies can only be hired temporarily for a set period under the sponsorship of Tadbeer.
- Flexible on-demand services: This package allows you to hire Tadbeer sponsored nannies on an hourly, daily, weekly or monthly basis.
Standard babysitters versus registered nurses
If you’re exploring babysitting services in Dubai, then make sure the company you choose is licensed. You can hire a licensed live-out babysitter or part-time nanny to look after your children for as little as AED 50 per hour. It’s recommended that you consider companies that use registered nurses who are affiliated with the Dubai Health Authority (DHA). They are ideal for babies, toddlers, and children with special needs. If your kid is under 6 years old, then you should consider hiring a registered nurse. You can expect to pay between AED 60 and AED 80 for a registered nurse. Never hire a babysitter through a cleaning company because they are unlikely to have basic first aid certifications and might not have any experience of looking after children. After all, cleaning companies are supposed to specialize in cleaning, not babysitting services.
Babysitter versus daycare
Compared to daycare centers, babysitters provide more individual attention. Many children feel more comfortable at home. Studies indicate that before the age of three, children experience less stress and illness in home-based settings. Your babysitter can take care of your children when they’re not feeling well, whereas you can’t send a sick child to a daycare center. However, high-quality preschools can be more beneficial after the age of three. While choosing a daycare center, be sure to consider factors such as the qualifications and experience of the staff, safety and cleanliness, and the quality of the play area and other facilities.
While child care services make it possible for both parents to work and socialize, it is important for parents to spend as much time as possible with their kids. A recent study found that UAE parents only spend around 30 minutes per day with their children, and the government has launched a campaign to increase the bonding time between parents and children. But, of course, most parents can’t spend the whole day with their children. To ensure that your absence doesn’t affect their development, you should only hire reliable and qualified babysitters in Dubai.