Moving is already stressful. You don’t want to make it worse for yourself by dealing with a dishonest person or company. The best way to avoid moving scams is to be a well-informed customer and to always hire a reputable moving company in Dubai. ServiceMarket brings you a list of the most common moving scams that people fall for and advice from a quality relocation provider, MoveHub, on how to avoid them.
Bait and switch
The scammer gives you a very low estimate. When it is moving day or worse, when all your belongings have been loaded into the truck, the scammer will change the estimate. The cost is suddenly sky high but it is too late for you to back out because you probably planned your move according to a set schedule and you won’t have time to find new movers.
Belongings held ‘hostage’
This is where the scammer refuses to give you your belongings unless you pay the amount being suddenly demanded. This can happen during the bait and switch, but also on its own as a separate scam.
The scammers load up your belongings and then you never see them or your belongings again.
Some of your belongings are mysteriously lost during the move. Other items are delivered damaged.
Extra charges are added to your contract without any explanation and after you have already signed it.
An agent will visit your place for an inventory and suddenly important documents go missing. It could also be that your box of important documents is lost during the move.
How to avoid being scammed:
Here are some steps suggested by our service partner, MoveHub, that you should take to protect yourself from such scams:
- Get recommendations from friends or read reviews of movers in Dubai to shortlist them.
- Check the website of all the moving companies on your list and read the customer reviews.
- Only choose licensed movers.
- Make sure that the moving companies send someone over for an inventory of your belongings.
- Keep your documents and precious personal assets in a safe when an agent comes over for the inventory.
- Ask the right questions and get a complete breakdown of the estimate.
- Get everything, especially the estimate, in writing.
- Visit the company premises, if possible.
- Ask for references and call them.
- Ask about coverage options and sign up for what you deem fits your needs.
- Read the contract thoroughly before signing it.
- Don’t sign an incomplete contract.
- Get the bill of lading before your belongings are about to get loaded.
- Refuse to load your belongings in unmarked trucks.
- Keep your documents and precious assets with yourself instead of packing them with the rest of your belongings.
- If you have to pack computers, use strong passwords.
- Shred any document that you aren’t taking with yourself.
- Refuse to pay in cash and get a receipt of payment. Only tips should be paid in cash.
Previously known as Twiga Movers, MoveHub is a professional relocation company in the region that prides itself on providing a customized moving solution for their customers moving needs. Established in UAE in the year 2011, MoveHub has grown consistently with it’s fully customer centric approach to the relocation business. Complete customer satisfaction is at the crux of the MoveHub business model. With over 15000 successful moves and 80% referral clients, it is no surprise that MoveHub has been voted as the best moving company in Dubai by its valued customers
ServiceMarket strongly advises doing extensive homework to hire a reputable mover, like MoveHub, before moving day to avoid a disaster. ServiceMarket partners with vetted movers and packers in Dubai to make your experience hassle-free. Besides finding movers, here a list of things you need to do before your move in Dubai.