Planning to move homes in Dubai soon and wondering how much it will cost? The cost of moving in Dubai depends on the size of your belongings as well as many other factors. The experts at ServiceMarket have put together this guide to help you understand the expenses involved in the process of moving and how movers and packers in Dubai determine the cost.
Factors that affect the cost of moving
Movers and packers in Dubai take the following factors into account when calculating the cost of moving:
- Size of your belongings: The bigger the size of your furniture and other belongings, the more it will cost to move them to your new home.
- The distance to your new home: The greater the distance, the higher the cost is likely to be. You can expect a lower cost if you’re moving within the same building
- Moving to another Emirate: The cost of moving from Dubai to another Emirate is higher than that of relocating within Dubai.
- Service levels provided by movers: FIDI-accredited movers and packers in Dubai usually have higher rates as they provide premium services. You won’t have to worry about facing delays, damages, losses, hassles, or hidden charges if you go for such companies. They’re also affiliated with insurance providers, allowing you to get insurance for your expensive items.
- Moving day: Movers in Dubai may charge more for busier days. Most Dubai residents move homes on the weekend and Saturday is the most popular day. Moving on Fridays may cost more as it’s a non-working day.
- Additional charges: There may be extra charges if your movers and packers need to climb stairs or use special packing materials for sensitive items like paintings. You might also face additional charges if you need to move bulky items, e.g. a grand piano.
What’s included in the service?
When you request a quote, the moving company in Dubai will first carry out a survey of all your furniture and other belongings. On moving day, your movers and packers will disassemble the furniture and pack everything properly. Everything will then be transported safely in a truck. After reaching your new home, the movers will reassemble the furniture and unpack other items, unless you want to do so yourself.
How much time do moving services take?
Typically, it takes a day to move the contents of a studio or one-bedroom apartment. For larger homes, it can take two to three days. So be sure to plan accordingly.
Typical cost of moving
The cost of moving to another home within Dubai typically ranges from:
- Studio apartment: AED 800 – 1000
- One-bedroom apartment: AED 1100 – 1500
- Two-bedroom apartment: AED 1800 – 2,400
- Three-bedroom villa: AED 4,000 – 5,000
You should consider requesting quotes from movers in Dubai to get an accurate estimate.
How to cut down your moving cost
Since one of the main factors that affects the cost of moving is the size of your furniture and other belongings, you should try to declutter and consider donating, selling, or getting rid of all the things you don’t need anymore. Doing so can help you cut down the cost significantly. Another effective way to save money when moving is to request and compare quotes from multiple moving companies in Dubai. You’d be surprised by how much comparison shopping can help you save. Keep in mind that it’s never a good strategy to just go along with the first moving quote you come across or opt for the cheapest option without checking the accreditations and reviews of the moving company. You should get free quotes from multiple moving companies in Dubai and compare them not just in terms of the cost but also the level of services they are providing.
Other expenses to consider:
- Transferring utilities and telecom connections: To transfer your DEWA connection to your new home, you will have to pay an administrative fee of AED 120, and for the telecom connection there’s a fee of AED 100.
- Move-out painting services: You may need to repaint and repair your old home to return it to its original condition so that you can get the full security deposit back from your landlord. If you get a one-bedroom apartment repainted back to while or off-white, the cost will be around AED 750 – 850.
- Move-in pest control, sanitization, and handyman services: To make your new home comfortable, safe, and hygienic, you may also want to book some additional home services. For example, to avoid encounters with common pests like cockroaches, ants, and bed bugs you can book a move-in pest control service, which costs AED 299 for a two-bedroom apartment. Sanitization services for a studio apartment cost as low as AED 299. You will also need help with a variety of tasks such as TV mounting, changing light bulbs, hanging curtains and installing shelves. For these tasks, you can book move-in handyman services for just AED 150 per hour.
- Storage: You may also need to rent storage space on a temporary or long-term basis. For example, if you are moving from a bigger to smaller apartment and you don’t have space to fit all of your belongings or need some time to figure out what to do with them, then you always have the option to get a storage unit. Depending on your preferences, needs, and budget you can go for a shared or self-storage unit in Dubai, with the former being more affordable. One to two cubic meters of shared storage in Dubai will cost you around AED 200 to 300, and three to five cubic meters will cost between AED 400 and AED 600.
ServiceMarket only features vetted and licensed movers and packers in Dubai to make sure you can have a hassle-free experience and peace of mind throughout the moving process. You can easily request free quotes from multiple moving companies. What’s more, you can, read customer reviews, and check accreditations online to make an informed decision.